7 Tips for Summertime Slim Down
What’s better than Summer time in the beautiful city of Beverly Hills? The beach is just about the hottest place to see and be seen, along with the chic pool gatherings, and daytime BBQ’s. Your bikini and board shorts are all you need to look good anywhere you go. So remember, Summer Fun, but Fitness First! Here are 7 tips to stay fit and healthy this Summer, and look your best, no matter where you go!
1. Stay Hydrated: Water plays a vital role in our ability to stay thin and not bloat. With the alcohol, caffeine and warm weather, our bodies tend to lose liquids and then we retain water giving an unattractive “puffy” look. The average person doesn’t consume enough water in a normal day. So, to stay slim, try to drink one glass of water for every alcoholic or caffeinated beverage you drink.
2. Eat Protein, not Carbs: People tend to be more social during the Summer, and with a social life you also end up eating out more often. Eating out is not bad IF you make the right choices. For example, if you’re at a BBQ, opt for a burger with only one side of the bun, or no bun at all. Also, hold off on the chips and dips. Munch on water-filled fruits like watermelon, and save your appetite for the main portion of the meal.
3. Take Advantage Of The Daylight: The sun has been setting around 8 pm, which makes for over 13 hours of daylight to get a workout into your schedule. Save the gym for the winter. Get out on the beach and play games, walk, hike, or even try a new water sport like surfing! What’s better than burning calories while getting fit and having fun! Take full advantage of the summer hours.
4. Enjoy The Social Scene…in Moderation: There’s nothing better than a cold beer or a Cosmo by the pool, but if you over do it, you could end up with some unwanted summer LBs! Alcohol is loaded with empty calories, sugar, carbs, and fat so try to keep drinking to a minimum. Choose 1-2 days that you allow yourself to splurge and try to be good the rest of the week. Summer is a marathon not a sprint. You have all summer to get your fill of drinks, try to spread it out. Drinking less will also prevent hangovers and allow you to enjoy more summer days! When you do drink, grab light beers, or mixers that are low in sugars and calories. My personal favorite is a Vodka Soda Water, with a splash of pineapple and a lime!
5. Take Supplements: If your body is not quite “Summer Body” ready yet, there are a few supplements you can take to expedite weight loss. The top 2 that I recommend are:
1) EFA Oil- Essential Fatty Acids. You can get them from any health food store. These will help you burn fat (especially around the mid-section) and also give you energy.
2) Probiotics- These are good bacteria that belong in your intestines. These will help you absorb your food better and also help to eliminate waste product, leaving you feeling energized and slim!
6. Enjoy Cat Naps- If you can find time on the weekends or during the week to give yourself a 20 minute nap, I highly recommend it. Sleep recharges our system and keeps us going. Sleep also plays an important role in staying thin. Keep a small towel or blanket in your car, so if the opportunity arises, you can take advantage of a nice shady spot in the park or at the beach to get some zzz’s.
7. Appreciate our perfect weather: The power of appreciation is huge and can really increase positivity in your life. Beverly Hills is the best city to live in, so make sure you appreciate every day this Summer, it only comes around once a year! Soak up the sun and keep yourself busy with fun activities!
Now with these 7 Simple Tips To Summertime Slim Down, can have the body you want while incorporating good health and fitness habits into all that you do. Enjoy!
Fitness Expert, Liz Lieberman