Every woman wants smooth, beautiful lips. After all, there’s nothing worse than a dry, chapped, scabby pucker. Who wants to kiss lips like that?! (Image Credit: Photo by Morgan Alley /Unsplash)
The weather is harsh on our skin, especially our lips. Cold weather and hot sun both dry out the skin and the more we lick our sore lips, the worse they look. Luckily, there are a ton of home remedies we can use to protect and moisturize. Read on for some handy tips to ensure your lips are smooth, beautiful, and very kissable.
Dehydration and Lips
During cold weather or a hot spell, it’s important to stay adequately hydrated. The less you drink, the drier your lips will be. Our lips are actually a useful barometer of how dehydrated we are. If you look in the mirror and see dry, scaly lips, think about how much you’re drinking. Can you drink more?
Skip the coffee and wine in favor of water, green tea, and soups. Warm water is an excellent way to hydrate on a cold day. It will replenish your body’s fluid levels and keep your lips plump and smooth.
Natural Lip Protection
There are lots of natural ingredients that can heal and protect dry lips.
- Honey is a natural – and delicious – lip balm. Apply to sore, dry lips to soothe and smooth. Keep a small pot of honey in the fridge and apply daily to keep your lips healthy and hydrated.
- Almond oil is another natural ingredient for lips. Rub a few drops of almond oil into your dry lips. It contains antioxidants and Vitamin E, which heal and moisturize dry lips.
- Tea tree oil will heal and protect sore, dry lips. Rub in a drop or two and repeat several times a day if your lips are chapped.
- If you have an aloe plant in your home, slice open a small section of leaf to reveal the gel inside. Rub this gel on to your lips. It has natural healing properties and when used regularly, will soften the skin.
- Coconut oil is another store cupboard ingredient you can use to protect your lips from the sun or cold weather. Rub coconut oil into your lips as needed. If used regularly, it will keep your lips smooth and supple. It also smells delicious!
Exfoliate Your Lips
Exfoliation will remove dry, dead skin from lips. Don’t try and do this if your lips are very sore, but if you have some dry areas, it’s OK to exfoliate.
Prepare a scrub containing sugar and honey. Make a thick paste and massage it into your lips. This will remove loose, dead skin and leave your lips soft and smooth. Apply a soothing balm once you rinse away the sugar and honey.
Apply a Lip Mask
Lip masks are like face masks: you apply them to your lips and leave for a while to moisturize, cleanse, and condition. A volumizing lip mask is great if your lips have shrunk due to the natural aging process. Instead of injecting filler, use a natural volumizing treatment to heal and boost your lips.
Make a lip mask at home using milk or cream and turmeric. Mix half a teaspoon of powdered turmeric with a touch of milk or cream until it’s a thick paste. Turmeric has natural healing properties and the lactic acid in milk/cream will aid your dry lips. Leave the mix on for around five minutes and then wash off. Rub in a conditioning balm.
Don’t put up with dry, sore lips. With these beauty treatments, your lips will soon be as soft as a baby’s bottom.