What Licenses Are Required By Inter-State Commercial Vehicles?

Beverly Hills Magazine What licenses are required by inter-state commercial vehicles?
#bevhillsmag #licenses #interstatecommercialvehicles

When it comes to setting up a moving company, there are many licenses that you have to obtain. The purpose of these permits is to ensure that a moving company operates safely. You may require different licenses because of the type of business involving commercial vehicles.

Here are a few essential licenses, and every commercial moving company that operates between several states must have:

IRP (International Registration Plan)

You may be asking yourself: what is IRP? To understand what IRP is you must first know that a commercial vehicle requires two plates: the base plate and the apportioned plate. If the commercial truck stays within the state lines, you only need the base plate. However, if the vehicle travels to another state, having the apportioned plate becomes necessary. Another name given to IRP is the “apportioned registration.” 

IRP (International Registration Plan) is an agreement between all the states in the US and all the provinces in Canada. The purpose of the IRP is to register your moving vehicles to travel between state lines and country lines. 

When a moving truck travels to another state, the driver needs to pay a certain fee in each state that it travels. The amount of the fee depends on the number of miles the vehicle travels in that particular state. Hence, if your company wants to operate between states, provinces, or countries, you must register with the IRP. You can apply for the IRP within your particular state.

USDOT (United States Department of Transportation) 

A USDOT number is essential for interstate motor carrier vehicles. The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Authority) issues the USDOT number. The USDOT number identifies a moving company and allows the FMCSA to track the moving vehicles and ensure safety. Moreover, the FMCSA keeps track of the registration status, inspection, and other investigations. The USDOT number must be on the commercial vehicle. All moving companies that either transport goods or passengers must have a USDOT number. 

You can apply for the USDOT number by submitting an online application. 

Operating Authority (MC number)

In addition to this, you also require an MC number for transporting commercial commodities across state lines. It is necessary for companies engaged in interstate commerce or transport passengers across state lines. However, not all moving companies require an MC number. 

The operating authority number, issued by FMCSA, depends on the type of authority being granted to the moving company. There are other types of moving authority status identified with the prefixes: MC, FF, MX numbers. Check out the FMCSA website for more information regarding this. 

You can search for a moving company by its USDOT or MC number by visiting this link.

In addition to these licenses, each state may require a different set of licenses and permits for a commercial vehicle to operate. 

Driver’s License

Apart from these permits, drivers also require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to drive commercial vehicles. You can apply for the CDL in your state. There are three types of CDL, and these include Class A, Class B, and Class C. 

Class A vehicles weigh more than 26,001 pounds or tow vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds. If you have a Class A license, you are eligible to operate Class B and Class C vehicles, as well. Class A license includes any combination of vehicles. Hence, if you are transporting fragile equipment, you need a Class A CDL.

Class B vehicles include any vehicle weighing more than 26,0001 pounds or tow vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds. Class B license is only for one vehicle. Those who have this license can operate Class C vehicles.

Class C vehicles are any one vehicle or more than transports more than sixteen passengers (or more) at a time. 

You have to be more than 21 years of age to drive a commercial vehicle. To be eligible for application, each driver has to complete a requisite number of hours for training. The training includes in-class lectures and on-road training. 


For a commercial moving company or vehicle to operate within the US, there are permits and licenses that the company has to obtain. This license allows smooth operations of a business while ensuring that the safety of the people involved remains intact.

Peace Adebola
Peace is a freelance content writer who enjoys reading, acquiring knowledge and she loves to code.
Translate »