Typically, factors that give couples pause when they are planning their wedding include decisions about the location, coordinating flower arrangements, choosing the guest list, and reconciling with the price — if you live in NYC, a wedding runs about 70 grand on average. (Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay)
You can expect a big wedding rush on the horizon as couples who have been waiting to tie the knot spring at the first opportunity. When this moment comes, you’re going to want to be prepared.
Being stuck inside has not stopped people from popping the question. Wondering what that might look like? Check out these 14 different proposals from couples who are in quarantine.
Have we all been sitting around in our sweatpants and pajamas while this pandemic persists, to the point that we’ve forgotten we even have formal attire in our closets? Yes. Does this mean that we have to go into wedding season looking like we haven’t seen another human in months (because, in fact, this is the case)? No.
Here are some exciting and trendy men’s wedding fashion tips and guidelines you need to look great in any dress code.
Casual/Informal Dress Code
We’ll start with this level of guest attire, though it is not a particularly common one. While this is obviously the most loose dress code, there are still some men’s fashion choices that do not fly at a wedding that calls for a casual level of dress.
- Patterned shirts: Wearing a patterned shirt to a wedding that has been deemed casual is a perfectly acceptable option. You can go for a more adventurous look with paisley or dotted pattern, or keep things more classic with striped collar shirts or a plaid button-down shirt.
- Shorts: These are a bit iffy. If you wear shorts that are on the more formal side — chinos or a nice pair of wool or linen shorts — then this can be an appropriate men’s wedding fashion choice in a warm locale.
- Tees: Even if the wedding is casual, you’re most likely going to want to avoid a short-sleeved shirt. A short-sleeved button down may be appropriate, as the collar gives the look a bit more formality.
- A suit and tie: This men’s wedding fashion ensemble is an obvious choice for more formal affairs. However, if the invitation specified casual guest attire, you may end up looking overdressed.
Black-Tie Dress Code
At the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the famous Black-Tie wedding. These events can actually be easier to dress for, because the men’s wedding fashion options are far more constrained.
When it comes to the cost of a Black-Tie wedding ensemble, you may think you need to start trading one of the 1500 U.S. cryptocurrencies to afford your outfit. In reality, you can get a basic tuxedo for as little as $200, or rent a higher-quality one for half that.
When attending a Black-Tie wedding, make sure to adhere to the following rules:
- Wear a formal button-down under your tux. Don’t get too creative with the design unless you’re sure that it will be appropriate for the occasion.
- Keep the footwear formal. This means black or dark brown loafers of velvet or leather — no casual shoes.
- Wear classic tuxedo colors. This means keeping things dark — either black or a very dark shade of blue.
For a wedding that is formal but not Black-Tie, a tux generally can still fly. If you want to ditch the tuxedo, most of the above rules remain. Try to keep your suit dark to maintain a high degree of formality.
While men’s wedding fashion can seem confusing and expensive, a fantastic outfit is actually quite accessible. Short of falling victim to a cyberattack (in which case, on average more than half of the funds can’t be recovered), most men are able to fit a classy outfit into their budget. You just have to know what to look for.