Instruments like violin, guitar, piano, and others are musical instruments that people frequently buy, however, there are those that aren’t quite as common as the ones that were listed above. We refer to them as wind musical instruments.
The most popular ones include saxophones, flutes, trumpets, clarinets, and many others. Now that you’ve decided to purchase one, it’s time to consider some factors before you invest any money.
After all, this is not something that you’re doing every day, hence, you have to take many things into consideration before you proceed. Since there isn’t a lot of wind instrument-related information, we decided to help you out by providing you with some very useful advice.
A Helpful Guide To Obtaining First-Class Wind Musical Instrument
Conduct Thorough Research First
As it was stated above, there aren’t too many details regarding this type of instrument, hence, it would be recommendable to do your homework before you spend a dime. What does it mean? It means that you should consult people who are experts in this field.
Talk to some teachers or any professional musicians who have enough knowledge about it. Besides that, you should also focus on studying various models and makers of the instrument to see which one is the best.
Just like with every other thing, there are those that are more or less reliable and simply do not offer the same quality, which is completely logical. Know the difference between models that are used by professionals, amateurs, students, etc.
What Instrument Is The Best For You?
This is the question that you should definitely ask yourself in order to obtain the right fit. The best thing that you can do is go to the nearest music store and try out all the wind musical instruments that are appealing to you.
Only then you’ll be able to tell what’s the best choice. For instance, if you come to the conclusion that the piccolo is perfect for your needs, then you can always find online piccolo buyers guide to gather more information about it. Below, we give you the list of questions that need to be asked before you make any further steps:
- How much money are you willing to spend on it?
- Has your teacher recommended you any particular model or brand?
- Can you easily find a place where you will be able to practice it and eventually improve your skills?
- Does this particular store sell adapted instruments or items that are defined as accessible?
Consider These Things As Well!
The Most Popular Brands
Just like in any other industry, here you also have the brands that are defined as the best ones when it comes to wind musical instruments, therefore, you should focus on them during your purchase. They include:
- Yamaha – It is for sure the biggest maker of musical instruments in the universe and they are constantly working on making only first-class products (flutes, clarinets, and saxophones). As far as the price is concerned, it is relatively acceptable and what’s great is the fact that you can find a vast selection of instruments, for both professionals and beginners.
- Buffet – Another great brand intended for clarinets, plus their B12 is perfect for amateurs. A trait that stands out the most is the construction material. Clarinets made for beginners are typically made out of plastic, while for professionals are made out of wood.
- Selmer – Saxophone lovers are certainly familiar with this brand, however, if you’re planning to purchase a student horn, they will provide you with excellent examples of this instrument.
- Gemeinhardt and Emerson are perfect options for student flutes. You will come across the ones that have either closed or open holes. If you’re just getting started, then you should opt for the closed-hole or at least the one that’s open but with plugs. Later on, as you gain more experience, you can always remove it.
The Condition Of The Instrument
It doesn’t matter whether you are purchasing a brand-new or used instrument, you should always pay attention to its condition. You have to ensure that every single key works perfectly. Another thing that’s important is that the instrument is straight.
When it comes to this, every single detail matters. Take a look at all the corks and pads on it. Namely, pads are supposed to be completely sealed and shouldn’t be too dirty. More importantly, both pads and corks must never be cracked.
Since this isn’t something that you’ve done too many times in the past, it’s completely understandable if this whole process is a bit “too much” for you. That’s precisely one of the reasons why this guide was created, to help you make the best choice!