Starting your own business is a very daring step in your life, and, as all daring steps, it’s not so easy. This is why we’ve compiled a list of the best places to start a business in California. The Golden State is always good for business as it is one of the largest and most advanced markets in the country. But these cities are especially good for new business. They provide a fertile environment for business big and small as well as secure market which will allow your commercial project to advance and grow. (Image Credit: David Mark/ Pixabay)
What we took into account?
Determining the most fertile locations for business in California wasn’t easy. This was mainly due to the fact that almost all places in this state provide a good business starting environment. However, by considering some factor apart from the number of successful businesses in the area, we reached an interesting list. This is what we considered when making our choice!
- Average income – the higher the income the better the chances of your business booming there. Since everyone has high income, they’ll be able to afford the services you’re trying to promote.
- Unemployment rate – avoid places with high unemployment rates as they generally have a poor job market and you’ll have a harder time finding all the experts you might need for your business adventure.
- Homeowners – there are a lot of homeowners in the best places to start a business in California. If your business is going well, you’ll be able to afford to purchase your own home, so this is a good indicator.
A lot of factors will determine whether a city is good for business or not. Consider them all carefully.
The best cities to start a business in California
1. San Francisco
Where better to try and start a business than in the “capital of the Silicon Valley”? San Francisco meets all of the criteria on our list and thus provides new entrepreneurs with amazing opportunities. Average income is pretty high, which makes this city an excellent place for new businesses. Apart from this, the general state of the market is amazing, so your business will have the opportunity and the space to grow. Unfortunately, because it’s popularity, you might run into fierce competition if you try to start your business in San Francisco. However, a bit of healthy competition does a business a lot of good, which also makes this city one of the best places to start a business in California. And, when the going gets tough, you can always find inspiring stories from young business leaders and make starting your business a little easier to handle.
San Francisco is definitely one of the best places to start a business in California.
Do you like rugged coasts, the ocean breaking against the rocks in a magnificent display and breathtaking views? Well, if you’re looking to start your business in a place like this, then Monterey is the perfect location for you! When you add a strong private sector to this, you get the perfect combination for starting a business in this place.
3. Palo Alto
Situated in the Santa Clara County this charter city has been famous with people starting their businesses. Learn from the top self-made millionaires when starting your business and find out why some of top world companies like Facebook, Google, Paypal, and Pinterest have all started their journey in this city.
4. Torrance, California
Even though you’re attempting to begin in one of the best places to start a business in California, this doesn’t mean that starting a business is all about the location. An important aspect of starting your business is your health. If you’re not fit and strong enough to handle all that will come your way, you’ll have a hard time putting your business idea into action. So, develop healthy habits to help you with setting up your business. Torrence is the perfect place for this – starting a business and keeping healthy.
5. Los Angeles
Of course, no place is good for business as the capital of the state. However, keep in mind that the business market and competition are pretty cut-throat in any environment as big as LA. So, if you’re looking to have an easy time setting up your business, you might want to skip this city as your destination. On the other hand, if you’re ready to improve through competition and set up your business stronger than ever by overcoming adversity in a really intense market, move your business offices in Los Angeles area and get ready for an interesting business challenge.
If you’re considering relocating to get better chances of starting a business, then LA is the place for you.
Before starting your business
Now that you know the best locations to set up shop in California, it’s time to get going! However, don’t give entrepreneurship a shot until you check out this advice. Here are some things you should keep in mind when starting or moving your business in a new market:
- Don’t start until you’ve prepared – as you may have heard: “Preparation is the key to success”. Well, this is especially important when you’re starting your business. So, make sure you have everything ready. This way you’ll be able to start
- Don’t give up – running your own business is similar to surviving in extreme environments. At some points, it will seem that the whole universe is against you. But, in these situations, remember Bear Grylls’ rules to survival and apply them to your business. Improvise, adapt, overcome! And remember that no obstacle is permanent if you put your mind into overcoming it!
- Don’t use any old idea– finally, apart from your tenacity and will to keep going, the success of your business will depend on your ideas. Once you learn not to give up, you must learn to stick with your idea even when everyone thinks you’re wrong. It’s alright to adapt your idea to the market or the consumers, but it should be your idea, and not something else. So, don’t put your whole faith in moving to one of the best places to start a business in California, but on your business idea.
Hopefully, this guide helped you to decide on the location you’ll want to start your business in. However, remember that the most important factor in this is you and that if you’re not ready or prepared, not even the best places to start a business in California can help you! So stay innovative and original, and good luck with your business escapades!