Efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 have forced everyone to stay home and discouraged non-essential social gatherings, which poses a new challenge if you’re single. Meeting up in-person with someone you’ve met online is not a good reason to risk leaving the house, but thanks to zoom, you can have an online date during the quarantine. (Image Credit: Tumisu/Pixabay)
Instead, technology is here to save the day. As the online dating scene shifts to the new normal of social distancing, it sees FaceTime or Zoom dates replacing romantic dinner dates and other activities associated with first dates. Whether you met someone via a dating app or with help from a dating expert, your first date will be online.
So how do you get ready for it?
First impressions in mind, preparing for a pre-pandemic date is already challenging enough. Today, you have to consider how you look on your video call date when it’s just you, a potential lover, and your tech of choice.
How To Look Fresh and Fierce
Skincare is your first agenda. Everyone experiences skin problems, but cameras can make them look worse. In preparation for your virtual date, take care of your skin beforehand. Drinking plenty of water, getting a good night’s sleep, and using a daily moisturizer can help clear your skin.
Before you date, use a thin layer of concealer to hide any trouble spots or blend red areas. A quick concealer can help you look fresh and date-ready. Also, add a pop of color to your look. Whether it’s a bright red lipstick or your favorite eye shadow, add some color to you look to prevent looking dreary or washed-out, especially if your lighting situation is imperfect.
Other makeup styles to consider:
- Brushed-out brows. A few strokes of a brow pencil or a bit of brow gel can help you feel more put together. Sharp brows or bold brows are a fantastic way to highlight your face without looking like you’re wearing too much makeup.
- Dewy and velvety complexion. A light layer of your favorite foundation can give you a smooth and dewy complexion.
- Light lip and bold lashes. If you’re planning to brush out your waves, complement the look with a layer of mascara and peach lipstick. This will boost the natural contours and colors of your face.
- Nude lip. A swipe of lipstick instantly adds color to your face. Since laptop or phone lighting isn’t always the best, a pinkish nude lipstick can freshen up your look.
- Pull your look together with pink-tinged cheeks. A light sweep of blush should do the trick.
What You Should Wear
Naturally, your upper half becomes the primary focus of your video call date, though that doesn’t mean you should forgo your outfit from the waist down. Since video calls are up-close and personal, choose an outfit that makes you feel comfortable.
If you’re up for it, consider asking your date their attire for the night. You can agree on doing the whole date night shebang or dress down. From here, you can focus on what you want to accentuate.
Consider the following styling tips to reduce your first online date worries:
- Ditch the sweats. This might be your first date from the comfort of your futon, couch, or bed, without your date physically present. It’s the new normal of dating, so you might be tempted to go online wearing the same clothes you wear when FaceTiming with your friends.
Save the sweats and yoga pants and wear what you would on an actual first date. You’ve already spent months in your home clothes; now’s the time to dress up – even if it’s for a date at home.
- Dress like yourself. Whether you choose to wear athleisure or settle with a sexy dress, your outfit should be authentic to you. Wear something that reflects your energy. Stay away from outfits that are from personal style.
- Impress with red colors. If you love black, ditch your favorite color for a second and wear something red, aka THE color to wear on a date. If you’re not a big fan of red or do not have red-colored clothes, wear fuchsia, which works well for any skin tone.
- Accessorize and add texture to your look. Another way to secure a positive first impression is to incorporate texture into your outfit. Apart from playing with jewelry, explore ruffles, chiffon tops, or any statement piece.
Dating online via video conferencing platforms will be the new norm during the pandemic, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it. Impress your date – even from afar – by staying stylish and beautiful in front of your webcam or camera phone.