Beard oil is one of the most popular and frequently used grooming product by bearded men. It’s not only good for grooming, but it helps in maintaining a healthy beard! Regardless of the length of your beard, be it long or short, using high-quality oil is the secret to keeping your beard soft, itch-free and dandruff-free!
If you’re thinking of getting a natural beard grooming oil, read this article first. We will take a deeper look into why you should be using it and whether it does anything for your beard at all. What benefits do you get from a beard grooming oil, what is it made of, choosing the right oil scent and how to use it. Come along for a ride if you want to learn more.
Does Beard Grooming Oil Make Beard Grow Faster?
Despite the hype around grooming oil, there has been no evidence suggesting that it can help make beard grow faster. So many beard oil products on the market claim to speed up beard growth, but there’s no proof that they actually do.
The truth is, the amount of beard hair you can grow depends on a number of factors including diet, sleep, exercise, environment, supplementation, and hydration. However, the number one deciding factor is genetics. Your genetics significantly affect how much hair you can grow, but this doesn’t mean there’s no merit in using beard grooming oils and products to keep your beard healthy. Keeping a healthy and active lifestyle helps as well.
According to some studies, there are some essential oils that help or promote growth of beard hair thanks to their therapeutic properties and high antioxidant content.
Do Beard Oils Really Work?
When men grow beards, they cover up some parts of their faces. The skin underneath these bearded parts often end up neglected and forgotten. The skin underneath can get itchy, dry, and flaky from the constant cleaning and washing of the beard. When you don’t restore your skin’s barrier using beard oils or balms, you’ll be experiencing problems such as beard itch, beard dandruff, dry, brittle hair, and beard hair fall and folliculitis.
Benefits of Beard Oils
There are so many benefits you can get from using beard oils. If there is one product you need to keep in your beard grooming routine, it would be the beard oil and below are some reasons why:
- Makes beard hair soft and strong –beard oils soften and treats dry or rough beards. First-time users will immediately notice a difference from the first use. After using the oil for two weeks or more, you’ll start noticing other benefits and your beard looks and feels better than before!
- Provides Nourishment to your beard –beard oils are enriched with vitamins, micronutrients, fatty acids and minerals that promote healthy beard growth. With all the vitamins and nutrients it is enriched with, it improves the skin health and strengthen your beard’s hair follicles as well.
- Moisturizes and Protects the Skin –the skin under your beard can get dry and flaky without proper care and maintenance. Fortunately beard oils can help by moisturizing and restoring the epidermis, removing the flaky skin from the beard and encouraging healthier skin conditions for beard growth. Beard oils are also great for those with sensitive skin.
- Gets Rid of Beard Itch –If you want to soothe the skin, reduce redness and irritation and get rid of beard itch, then use beard oil.
- Keeps the Beard Clean and Smelling Great –beard oils not only moisturize the beard, but it also cleans and leaves it smelling great.
How to Use Beard Oil
Using beard oil isn’t that complicated—in fact, it’s as easy as brushing your teeth! It also doesn’t take up much of your time. Below is an in-depth explanation of how you can use and apply beard oils.
- Shake the bottle or container before using. The oil may need to be warmed up depending on the environment and seasons.
- Apply at least three or four drops of oil to the palm of your hands. Gently rub your hands together. It’s always advisable to start with less oil, then adding more if necessary.
- Run your hands and fingers over your beard in a downwards motion. Make sure you start from the cheek area, above your sideburns and then slowly work your way to cover the rest of your beard. Don’t forget the mustache area as well!
- If you’re using your hands, run the tips of your fingers in an upwards motion from the chin. After that, work your way to the cheek. Make sure you massage the oil into the skin.
- When using a comb, comb in a downwards motion and use your hand to tame flyaway hairs gently. This will provide it a natural beard style. You can also use a moisturizing beard balm if you want a tidy and well-shaped beard.
- Apply more oil if you want
Ingredients Used in Beard Oils
When buying beard oils, you should always look for one that is as natural as possible. There are beard oils that are 100% natural, and contain certified organic carrier oils of Jojoba, Argan, and Sweet Almond Oil. Rather than synthetic fragrances, beard oils use pure to botanical essential oils. They also use rosemary extract as a natural preservative and antioxidant.
- Argan oil –beard oils that use Argan oils as a base is considered as ‘liquid gold’. It contains fatty acids such as linoleic acid and oleic acid. When used on the beard, it helps reduce split and damaged hairs, get rid of beard itch, reduce dandruff, and moisturize skin.
- Jojoba oil –this oil does wonders for your beard and skin! It’s a natural humectant, meaning it doesn’t only lock in moisture, but it also prevents infections and fights against acne. It has vitamin E that helps keep your beard looking soft and healthy.
- Sweet almond oil – almond oil base is rich in vitamins E, potassium, fatty acids, and zinc which, together, help your beard to grow healthy. It’s also not greasy because it’s lightweight and fast absorbing.
- Rosemary extract –this is a popular natural antioxidant and preservative. It’s used to prolong the life of the oil; it’s also helps in hair growth and reducing hair loss.