Adolescence is a stage of personal and family changes. Children change their way of feeling and thinking very intensely. The style of clothes we wear speaks of us, and it is not different for teenagers, where it often becomes a form of self-expression. Almost all teenagers choose clothing based on what they want to show to others, especially their own parents. This is a normal thing because they tend to want to be different from their parents. This is a kind of rebellion through clothing and in this article; we will outline the key points concerning how teenagers choose their clothes.
Clothing as a sign of identity in adolescence
For teenagers, starting to select the clothes you like the most can be the way to tell you that you are no longer a child and that you have the freedom to choose your own style and feel different. Young people like to explore with fashion, with creativity and like to dare with their clothing. Each generation has new ways of expressing themselves with clothes and colors. For a teenager, opting for a look means making himself/herself public.
What parents should do
Parents should receive these changes in the best way possible. We must remember that everything is part of a process, so we must see it as another ladder in its growth and not as a catastrophe. They should talk to the young person about their real needs and let them explain their ideas and the reason for their choice.
Every parent should realize that one of the reasons for fashion is to identify and differentiate from adults; therefore, it is normal that there are frictions and controversies when choosing clothes. To remedy this, they must talk with their children carefully if they meet something controversial.
Advantages of choosing clothing for teenagers
– Secures their identity. It becomes the expression of adolescents. It is an important issue since it is the time when the characteristics of their personality begin to be transcendental.
– It helps them to belong to a group. This point occurs with the search for socialization outside the family. It is very important for them to belong to a group. With fashion, they may have a chance of being part of one or other groups or youth movements.
– Explores their creativity. They explore through their clothes their own creativity in playing with clothes, shapes and colors. The teenagers are so creative that they do not want to be limited by certain shades or colors when they choose clothing for themselves.
– It helps teenagers to know about themselves. The body is changing and the clothes allow young people to get to know each other better, what they feel bad or good, what they do with them and so on. From this point of view, they use their physique as well as their character.
What to watch out for
– Excessive spending and obsession. Some fashions can cause excessive spending in adolescents and reach consumerism. Preferring a brand for the social context they have, causes them to spend more than they own and that the desire for a pledge comes to haunt them in a harmful way. Fortunately now is the online era where they can buy various types of high quality teen clothing at affordable prices. We observe that there are hundreds of online clothing stores established every day all over the world but only some of them are truly qualified. For teenagers living in the UK we recommend TeenzShop UK.
Hopefully the above points can be considered for every teenager in choosing clothes and also consideration for each parent about how they should understand their children in expressing themselves through the selection of clothing.