4 Shoes Every Man Should Have
There’s no excuse for not having a pair of shoes to match your outfit. It’s the quickest way to ruin your entire look. By contrast, having the right shoes is the easiest way to pull an outfit together. Do you have the right options in your closet? (Image Credit: Rakin/Pixabay)
Shoes Aren’t Just for Women
We all know that women love shoes, but they’re equally as important for men. Here are the three biggest reasons why:
- Support and protection. First and foremost, shoes provide support for your feet and protection from the elements. Try going barefoot for a hike in the woods and try convincing yourself that shoes don’t matter.
- Women judge you. According to a recent survey of 1,000 Americans, women judge men’s shoes twice as much as men judge women’s shoes. In fact, 64 percent of women judge a man’s entire fashion sense based on his shoes. Even more interestingly, 52 percent of women judge a man’s personality by his shoes, while 36 percent use it as a way of determining his financial position.
- Performance. From a very practical perspective, shoes impact your performance. The right pair of tennis shoes enhances a workout, just as the correct pair of boots helps you on a job site.
4 Types of Shoes You Need in Your Closet
If your wardrobe currently consists of just two or three pairs of shoes, you don’t have nearly enough options to help you dress appropriately for every situation life throws your way. Ideally, you want at least one pair of shoes in each of the following categories:
Sneakers are a must-have. They serve both a practical and stylish purpose. From a practical perspective, they’re perfect for wearing around the house, running a quick errand, or for exercising. From a stylish point of view, they give you a clean, modern appearance that you can easily pair with shorts or even use to dress-down a suit. The key with sneakers is to keep them clean.
- Boat Shoes
Every man needs a nice boat shoe in his collection. While it may not be your go-to shoe in every scenario, it has a place and time. Originally designed for the purpose of offering grip on wet boats, these leather shoes are perfect for a casual summer evening. They also pair nicely with a pair of pants (and no socks, of course) when you don’t need a formal look. As a bonus, boat shoes are waterproof and can easily withstand wet weather.
Every man needs a pair of dependable boots. More specifically, you need a pair of nice brown leather booths.
“[Leather boots are] utilitarian in that you can wear them in a lot of adverse weather situations as well as in more elevated casual outfits,” menswear stylist Ashley Weston writes. “I prefer brown because boots are usually more geared toward the cooler months, and brown is a great fall/winter color and it goes amazingly well with the dark wash jeans and wool trousers you should already own. But don’t be mistaken, you can also wear these year-round.”
You should also include a pair of Chukka or Chelsea boots in your wardrobe. These can be paired with a dark pair of jeans or khakis for a sophisticated look.
- Dress Shoes
“Dress shoes” is a pretty generic term. While we’re lumping them together, you’ll probably need a minimum of four pairs of dress shoes to be prepared for any situation. Basic styles include:
- Oxford/derby. This is the classic, sleek dress shoe with a rounded toe. It’s typically made of leather and comes in a variety of brown shades and black.
- Loafer. Not everyone likes the look of loafers, but they sue are versatile. You can wear them with dress socks and slacks, or even go sockless with jeans. The penny loafer is the classic look, but there are many variations today.
- Monk strap. This dress shoe has no lacing, but instead features a strap and buckle. It’s not as formal as an oxford, but is still considered appropriate with a suit.
The key with dress shoes is to buy ones that look good and feel good. It’s important to pay attention to both of these aspects, otherwise you’ll fail to maximize your sense of fashion.
Pull Your Look Together
Shoes aren’t meant to be the look. They do, however, complement a tasteful outfit. When you have a wardrobe of shoes, you have a lot more versatility in what you can wear. You’re no longer forced to choose your outfit based on your shoes. Instead, you can select an outfit with the confidence of knowing you have an array of footwear style to choose from.