Breaking into Modelling: 5 Tips To Become A Model
Having good looks and a great body makes you qualified to become a model. More so if you love doing different poses in front of the camera, project clothes and products, and strut on the catwalk. Unlike in the past when models are scouted by luck and become successful in a short amount of time, nowadays you need in-depth preparation and follow effective strategies to make it big in the modelling industry. (Images Credit: Pixabay)
With digital technology and because of the influence of social media, many people are inspired to become models. Anyone can grab a smartphone, take a good selfie, upload photos online, get noticed, and become a model. But how can you break into the modelling world and become the next top model?
There are many effective ways of breaking into modelling. Here are some practical tips and strategies to make it big into the modelling industry.
Create a Great Modelling Portfolio
Given that you have a beautiful face and well-proportioned body, it’s essential to have a killer portfolio. You need to highlight your strong points or best features through high-quality and stunning images. Also, the first thing that clients and modelling agencies will look at is your modeling portfolio.
Here are the following tips to create a great modeling portfolio:
- Take your body measurements. If you’re a woman, take the measurements of your hips, waist, and chest, as well as your height and weight.
- Creating composite cards is a powerful marketing tool you can use; they serve as your business card. A composite card usually measures 5 × 7 inches in a single page.
- Creating a digital portfolio in a flash drive or a DVD is also a good investment, most especially if you’re interested in becoming a television or catwalk model.
2. Determine Your Modelling Niche
The modelling industry is a large umbrella of different modelling niches or specialization. For example, you can be a catalog model or a runway model. Becoming a model in the UK is easy if you know what you’re good at. Based on the modelling job you like to pursue, take headshots. Hire a professional modelling photographer can help you build an excellent portfolio and give you expert advice.
3. Market Yourself Effectively
As a novice, you’ll need to have an effective marketing strategy so you’ll get noticed by top clients and modelling agencies. It’s not enough to submit your portfolio and wait for a call. You have to be aggressive in marketing yourself. Here’s how:
- Upload your portfolio on your social media accounts and tag modelling agencies.
- Participate in online forums tackling modelling jobs, like Quora, and link your social media URL or website URL.
- Connect with professional models on social media. You’ll be appreciated for your efforts and have a higher chance to get noticed and be referred to their modelling agencies.
4. Show Professional Work Ethics
Embracing rejection and learning from your experience is crucial to your success. Even stunning supermodels have experienced failures and rejections.
Here are some tips to show your discipline, professionalism, and work ethics:
- Show that you’re always willing to learn by taking modelling courses or reading modelling blogs from top models and experts in the industry.
- Answer emails, voicemail, and phone calls promptly.
- Be on time for a meeting, photoshoot, or casting call. Being on the venue 15 minutes early will take make a big difference in your modelling career.
5. Find a Trusted and Reputable Modelling Agency
Once you’ve created a killer model portfolio, it’s time to find the right modelling agency. You need to be noticed by a modelling agency or a scout. Submit snapshots of yourself, which are referred to as “digitals” or “polaroids” in the industry.
Here are some tips to ensure you’ll be working with a legitimate modeling agency:
- Think twice if a modelling agency says they’re working with international clients or boasting that they have the best clients and projects. Trusted and reputable modelling agencies don’t need to brag that they’re one of the best.
- A good modelling agency won’t ask money for anything, such as for modelling lessons and membership fees.
You can become a successful model by building a great modelling portfolio, marketing yourself, connecting with the right people, and showing a professional attitude. Apply the tips above to make your way into the glitz and glam of modelling.